We make it easy to free up needed space in your home, store household furniture, seasonal items, you name it. Students: store with us over Summer break and avoid the hassle of moving your stuff home for just a few months.
Select and reserve your space online in minutes. Complete the brief online form and when you are ready to move your goods come in and we’ll have your simple agreement ready, and our friendly staff waiting to help you place your goods into your individual storage space. You’ll be in and out in a flash and we’ll take excellent care of your stored items.
Choosing the right size self storage unit
Estimating how much space you will need for your storage items can be simple if you know what you want to store. Here are some simple steps to help you plan, and size recommendations based on commonly-stored items.
Step 1: Start by making a list of the items you plan to store.
Step 2: Group the items according to how you will organize them.
Start by identifying items that will be packed in boxes and stacked. Next, prioritize boxed items you will want to access most frequently (they’ll go closer to the front of the unit). Then group by fragility or weight – heavier, sturdier items should be stored on the bottom of stacked items, fragile items on top. Then consider awkwardly-sized items that won’t stack well, including how often you will need to use them, and how heavy they are.
Step 3: Make note of how these items will be packed and organized.
Boxes and containers should be of uniform size, and should be stacked no more than three- or four-high, depending on the size and strength of the containers you use. At Econo Storage, our customers often use heavy-duty plastic stackable drawers for easy access to stored items.
There are several basic sizes of storage units. Below is a quick-reference guide to help you plan what size unit you will need for your personal storage:
- 5′ x 5′ (25 sq. ft.) – The perfect size for one or two small furniture items or several boxes. Good for garden tools, bikes, ski equipment, extra storage for college students or seasonal items.
- 5′ x 10′ (50 sq. ft.) – Will hold furnishings of a mid-size bedroom, including a queen-size bed, dresser, TV, and a few storage boxes.
- 10′ x 10′ (100 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of an entire family room or two full bedrooms.
- 10′ x 15′ (150 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of up to three bedrooms in this unit. Recommended for larger items such as pianos, couches, tables, or large-screen TVs.
- 10′ x 20′ (200 sq. ft.) – Will hold the contents of a five-bedroom house, including a refrigerator, washer/dryer, dining room table, chairs and large boxes.
It is always a good idea to visit potential storage units to get a visual sense of the space you will be working with.
Your storage representative can answer any questions you may have, and give you suggestions on how to store your items to maximize space.